A free email newsletter breaking down the issues that affect Kansans and Missourians the most.
Delivered every Tuesday and Thursday morning
The Kansas City Beacon is a non-profit online news outlet focused on in-depth journalism in the public interest. It launched in 2020 and is part of The Beacon, a regional nonprofit news network serving Kansas and Missouri. Beacon stories are revelatory, contextual, data-driven and solutions-driven. Our reporting centers around issues in health care, education, economics, environment and civic engagement. Meet our journalists here. Meet our Community Advisory Board here. Meet our Board of Directors here.
Journalists must work to earn the trust of the public. The Beacon is transparent about its reporting and ethical practices. Journalists at The Beacon:
- Sign agreements to abide by the Society for Professional Journalists’ Code of Ethics.
- Agree not to take any merchandise or food from sources exceeding $5.
- Do not display yard signs or financially support political candidates.
- Disclose all potential conflicts of interest before hiring.
- Routinely write about their processes for finding information and how they analyzed data and records.
- Use social media to engage with readers.
- Participate in events and podcasts about their work.
As part of our transparency pledge to readers, The Beacon follows the Institute for Nonprofit News’ requirements to disclose its financial backers: No more than 5 percent of our annual budget will come from anonymous donations, we will post our 990 tax forms to our website, and we will publicly identify all donors who give more than $5,000.
Our journalism is not influenced by any funder, partner or parent organization.
Policies & Standards
- Steal Our Stories
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
- Ethics & Standards (coming soon)
- Financial Transparency (2019 Form 990)
- Style Guide (coming soon)
- Behind The Beacon
- Branding Guide
- Local Independent Online News (LION) Publishers
- Institute for Nonprofit News
- Kansas City Media Collective
- Nonprofit Connect
Get our free newsletter every Tuesday and Thursday morning. We share our in-depth reporting and the best local stories to help you understand what’s going on in Kansas City.